Palm Springs Neighborhoods
The large area known as Andreas Hills - surrounded by mountains and trails - includes the properties on both sides of East Bogert Trail, from South Palm Canyon Drive to Acanto Drive extended including properties on Marigold Circle, Azalea Circle West, Dogwood Circle West, Andreas Palms Drive, Snapdragon Circle, Goldenrod Lane, Barona Road, Corisca Court and Avenida Sevilla.
Beginning at the east end of Acanto Drive extended, all the properties on the east side of Bogert Trail to the mountains are included. Those include properties on Ridgemore Drive, Stonehedge Road, Dunham Road, Hillview Cove, Redford Drive and Andreas Hill Drive.
The Andreas Hills area includes a number of subdivisions of high-end, single-family residence, estate homes: Alta, Andreas Palms, Bellamonte, and Monte Sereno (including new home construction by Alta Verde).
There are actually two neighborhood associations that serve the area known as Araby; to the north, and west, is the Araby Commons Neighborhood Association, which covers the area bordered by the streets of East Palm Canyon Drive (along the north); South Araby Drive, and to the west side of the Palm Canyon Wash (along the east); Marabella Lane, East Jacaranda Road, and to the north side of the Palm Canyon Wash (along the neighborhood's southern border); South Barona Road, and the Smoke Tree Commons shopping center (along the west).
The Araby Cove Neighborhood Association covers a triangular area to the south and east of the Palm Canyon Wash. It runs from the wash, south, to the top of Araby Road, extends east to Rim Road, and to the west, encompass all of Smokewood Avenue, back down to the Palm Canyon Wash.
The Baristo neighborhood is centrally located and made up exclusively of condominium property owners in/around and along the Baristo Road corridor. This includes the developments of Caballeros Estates, Plaza Tennis Club, Ramon Estados, Rose Garden, Villa Caballeros, Village Racquet Club, Villorio, Vista Mirage, 43@Arenas, and 48@Baristo.
The neighborhood also encompasses a number of large apartment complexes, as well as The Plaza at Sunrise Shopping Center, including Ralph's Supermarket, located at the northwest corner of Sunrise Way and Ramon Road.
The boundaries of the Baristo include property both north and south along Baristo Road, between Avenida Caballeros and Sunrise Way, incorporating those addresses on Tiffany Circle (East, West, North and South), and property both east and west along Avenida Caballeros from Saturnino Road on the south to Arenas Road to the north, and the southern parcels of Arenas Road, between Calle el Segundo to Sunrise Way and the north side of Ramon Road between Avenida Caballeros and Sunrise Way.
The Canyon Corridor Neighborhood Organization is the area bordered by Murray Canyon Drive, on the south; South Palm Canyon Drive, from Laverne Way to (and including) Cantina Way, on the east; the San Jacinto Mountains, from Cantina Way to Murray Canyon Drive, on the west; Laverne Way, on the north; and South Calle Palo Fiero (from Avenida Granada to Laverne Way; west of, but not including South Calle Palo Fiero, from Avenida Granada to Santiago Way; Canyon Drive South cul-de-sac not included) to East Santiago Way (north of, but not including East Santiago Way) to Sierra Madre Drive.
The neighborhood known as Chino Canyon encompasses an area bordered by Via Escuela, to the south; Milo Drive, and the San Jacinto foothills, to the west; by North Palm Canyon Drive, to the east, and by the Tramway Road, to the north. The Chino Canyon area is sometimes (mistakenly) referred to as a part of Little Tuscany (and is a part of the Little Tuscany Neighborhoods Association), particularly the area south of Racquet Club Road.
When Henry Pearson purchased an apricot ranch in 1926, he drilled the deepest well in the Coachella Valley, stopping at 630 feet. He also built a ranch house with a glass-covered pipe roof system that used solar energy to heat water. Later converted to the popular Deepwell Guest Ranch, much of the surrounding area became subdivided, starting in the early 1950s as Deepwell Colony Estates. Large ranch-style and modern houses, many with guesthouses, were built in the meticulously landscaped neighborhood. By the early 1970s, developer Bill Bone had built his gated Spanish-style Deepwell Condominiums on the original ranch property near its western border
The Deepwell Estates Neighborhood Organization (DENO) defines its area of single family detached homes - including many large-scale midcentury period modernist ranchers - as being bounded on the west by Deepwell Estates Ranch, including the Biltmore homes (but not the Biltmore condominiums); on the north, by Mesquite Avenue; to the south, by Deepwell Road (west of Sagebrush) and by East Palm Canyon Drive (east of Sagebrush), and to the east, by Sunrise Way.
Bordering the Deepwell neighborhood to the southwest is the old site of the Palm Springs Biltmore Hotel resort complex, now the recent (2005) Biltmore Colony development of condominiums and single-family detached homes. Further east, along the north side of East Palm Canyon Drive, is the classic, William Cody-designed L'Horizon Hotel and Spa resort (1952), the Rancho La Paz condominium complex (1980), and a number of older small resorts - such as Sparrows Lodge, Colt's Lodge, or La Maison - some of which have become long-term rental units (such as Bermuda Palms). There are also a couple of older apartment complexes in that immediate area: Palm Tree, Sagebrush, and Deepwell.
Demuth Park is the neighborhood to the immediate north of its large, namesake park - with baseball diamonds, soccer fields, and a community recreation center building - bounded by East Mesquite Avenue, at the south, El Cielo Road, to the west, Ramon Road, to the north, and Gene Autry Trail, to the east. The far eastern end of Demuth Park, itself, is home to the new, large, contemporary-styled Palm Springs Animal Shelter.
While the Demuth Park neighborhood is primarily single family detached homes, there are some small, single-level apartment complexes within its bounds, particularly along the east side of El Cielo and the south side of Ramon. There are also commercial and professional buildings along Ramon (including the Palm Springs Regional Association of Realtors). East of Vella Road is primarily light industrial, and small commerical and industrial buildings and rental spaces.
Across Ramon Road, on the north side of the street, is Palm Springs International Airport.
Desert Park Estates
Bounded by North Sunrise Way, to the west, Vista Chino, to the south, Joyce Drive (and the Four Seasons golf course) to the north, and Farrell Drive (and the now-defunct Whitewater Country Club golf course) to the east - as far south as Racquet Club, where the northern boundary becomes Verona Road, east of Farrell Drive, and the eastern boundary becomes Whitewater Club Drive, down to Vista Chino - the very large neighborhood generally known as Desert Park Estates, and occupying the entire area northwest of Vista Chino and Gene Autry Trail, is served by no less than 3 neighborhood associations: the Desert Park Estates Neighborhood Association; the Racquet Club South Neighborhood Association: and the Gene Autry Neighborhood Association.
The neighborhood of El Mirador - bordered to the west by the very large Desert Regional Medical Center campus, which itself occupies the former site of the historic El Mirador Resort hotel and golf course - stretches from just below the old resort motels (now rental units) along Chuckwalla Road, at the north, all the way down to Tachevah Drive, at the south; and out to Sunrise Way, at the east.
Its borders include the gated community of newer, Mediterranean-styled estate homes in Colony El Mirador; and the ungated development of newer, Mediterranean-styled estate homes in a series of four short cul-du-sacs, originally called Casa del Desierto.
El Rancho Vista Estates
El Rancho Vista Estates was the first of the Wexler & Harrison residential subdivisions, dating from 1960. Developer Roy Fey, a former Chicago accountant who came to the desert and developed a small real estate empire, was the builder.
The development is a collection of approximately 75 single-family homes located northeast of the Palm Springs International Airport, accessed primarily via Vista Chino. Harrison himself owned a home in the development at 1593 Avenida Roberto Miguel – an unusual example of an architect living in a neighborhood completely designed by his firm.
The boundaries of El Rancho Vista Estates are Vista Chino, at the north; Gene Autry Trail, at the east; Chia Road, at the south; and the eastern boundary of the Palm Springs International Airport, at the west.
The Gateway Highlands - aka Desert Gateway Highlands - is a neighborhood at the northernmost border of the populated area of Palm Springs.
The Gateway Highlands neighborhood borders the newer Mountain Gate development, which is to the immediate west (west of Eastgate Road), and includes five short cul-du-sac streets of midcentury period homes, which run south off of Gateway Drive: Juan Circle, Juanita Circle, Ashby Circle, Gladys Circle, and the southern end of Eastgate Road.
The Gateway Highlands also includes a number of apartment and light industrial complexes and commerical buildings, particularly in the southeast section of the area, east of McCarthy Road, and south of Rosa Parks Road (formerly Las Vegas Road), to the intersection of San Rafael Drive and North Indian Canyon Drive.
To the southwest of the Gateway Highlands neighborhood is the twin condominium complex of Palm Springs Villas I and II, sited on the south and north side, respectively, of San Rafael Drive.
Originally developed in the early to mid 1960s, the Indian Canyons neighborhood - originally known as Canyon North and Canyon South, and surrounding the two 18-hole golf courses of what was originally known as Canyon Country Club, with a hotel complex that once stood at the southeast corner of South Palm Canyon and Murray Canyon Drive - officially changed its name in 2009, to reflect new ownership by the local Agua Caliente Band of Cahuilla Indians.
The boundaries of the Indian Canyons neighborhood include Sierra Way, to the north; Caliente Road and Via Estrella, to the east; Murray Canyon Drive, to the south, and Sierra Madre Drive, Santiago Way, and South Calle Palo Fierro, to the west.
Little Beverly Hills
Originally developed as Ramon Rise, the neighborhood now referred to as Little Beverly Hills occupies the southwest corner of Ramon Road at El Cielo, as far south as a section of East Sunny Dunes Road, as far west as Compadre Road, and is bordered to the south and west by the Mesquite Country Club golf course. It also includes the large condominium complex of Palm Villas (bordered by Ramon Road, El Cielo, Compadre Road, and to the south, by Theresa Road), a couple of small, single level apartment complexes along El Cielo, and the mid-century period single-level detached homes on the north-south streets of Canon, Beverly, Bedford, and Roxbury, which run between Theresa Road, at the north, to East Sunny Dunes, at the south.
One of the original showcase areas for some of the most architecturally and historically signifcant homes of midcentury modernism - such as the Loewy House (1946), or the Kaufmann House (1955) - the Little Tuscany Neighborhoods area is the area bounded by the San Jacinto foothills, on the west, Via Escuela on the north, North Palm Canyon Drive on the East, and Vista Chino on the South.
While Los Compadres is often considered to be a much larger area - stretching from Sunrise Way at the west, to Tahquitz Creek Golf Course, at the east, and all the way from Mesquite Avenue, on the north, to East Palm Canyon Drive, at the south, the neighborhood association defines it with the eastern boundary as the Tahquitz River Wash to the eastern end of Escoba Drive; the western boundary as Farrell Drive, southern boundary as East Palm Canyon Drive, and the northern boundary as Mesquite Country Club (except for the Mesquite Country Club homes south of Mesquite Avenue to Sonora Road, and west of Compadre Road).
This includes Alta Loma Drive, south Compadre Road, Beverly Drive, the Bel Air Greens Golf Course, and the Tahquitz Creek Golf Course, east of El Cielo Road. It also includes the neighborhood of Park Escoba (east of El Cielo, north of Escoba, and all the way to the golf course); the planned unit developments of The Pointe (bounded by Avery Drive, Escoba Drive, and Beverly Drive), Ridgeview (south of Escoba, east of El Cielo) as well as several large rental apartment complexes.
The Mesa district of Palm Springs is an area to the immediate southwest of the curve, where East Palm Canyon Drive forks away from South Palm Canyon. It goes up into the foothills of the San Jacinto Mountains, to the west. The boundaries of The Mesa include El Camino Way, Ridge Road, and Alta Vista Road, to the north; South Palm Canyon Drive, to the east; the eastern slope of the San Jacinto Mountains, to the west; and the southern boundary is north of (but not including) Cantina Way.
The Mesa community was originally established in the early 1920’s by Edmond Fulford, a successful Los Angeles businessman, on the lowest slopes of the San Jacinto Mountains in order to provide neighborhood homes protection from the desert winds. The plan was to create an exclusive gated community that was entered through a common main entrance. The plan was never realized, as Mr. Fulford died in 1936. But the original gatehouse still stands between South Palm Canyon and Mesa Drive on El Portal, and is now considered an iconic representation of The Mesa neighborhood.
Some of the city's oldest, and grandest, examples of Spanish Revival estate homes - including the King Gillette estate, from 1927 - are perched on the rocky vistas of The Mesa. They sit alongside both unbuilt lots, and custom homes of virtually every style, from every design period over the past century: these include the famous Streamline Moderne "Ship of the Desert" (1936), designed by Adrian Wilson and Erle Webster; the sprawling 73-acre French-Provincial influenced mountainside compound dubbed "Les Baux de Palm Springs" by owners Suzanne Somers and Alan Hamel, as well as recent construction of contemporary homes by Dennis Cunningham and Palm Springs Modern. Other celebrities, past and present, who have owned homes in The Mesa district include author Herman Wouk; songwriter and record producer, turned TV personality, turned restauranteur, turned politician - and former Palm Springs Mayor - Sonny Bono, singer-songwriter Barry Manilow, and actors Robert Wagner and Natalie Wood.
Once home to numerous celebrities - including Cary Grant, Dinah Shore, Bob Hope, Jack Benny, and Tony Curtis - beginning in the 1930s and until about the very early 1970s, the famous Palm Springs Movie Colony neighborhood is bounded by Avenida Caballeros, on the east; Tachevah Drive, to the north; Alejo Road, to the south; and North Indian Canyon Drive, to the west.
The Movie Colony is located within walking distance to downtown, and is comprised of approximately 170 homes. Within The Movie Colony are two parks: Ruth Hardy Park, located between Via Miraleste, Avenida Caballeros, Tamarisk Road and Tachevah Road, and The Wellness Park, a 5-acre wellness oasis managed by the Desert Healthcare District (www.dhcd.org), located at the corner of Tachevah Road and Via Miraleste, across the street from the Desert Regional Medical Center.
The boundaries of The Movie Colony also include four completely restored, upscale boutique hotels: The Colony Palms, The Movie Colony Hotel, El Mirasol, and Triada (formerly the Spanish Inn, which was originally owned by Alan Ladd). Across the street, at North Indian Canyon Drive and Granvia Valmonte, is the Hotel Alcazar (originally designed by E. Stewart Williams, and opened as the midcentury modern Pepper Tree Inn).
Old Las Palmas
Old Las Palmas boasts the largest number of celebrity homes in Palm Springs, dating back to the mid 1920's when it was first developed by New York builder Alvah Hicks and his son Harold.
Originally a citrus grove, the Old Las Palmas neighborhood includes the area from Alejo Road on the south, North Palm Canyon Drive on the East, Monte Vista on the West, and Stevens Road on the North. The entire neighborhood is within easy walking distance to Downtown.
Some of the well-known celebrities that have lived in Old Las Palmas include Edgar Bergen, Liberace, Sidney Sheldon, George Hamilton, Mary Martin, Joseph Barbera, Donna Reed, Harold Mirisch, Alan Ladd, William Powell, Rona Barrett, Rudy Vallee, Harold Robbins, George Randolph Hearst, Sidney Korshak, Kirk Douglas, Kitty Carlisle, Jack Warner, Leo Spitz, Lily Tomlin, and many others.
Today, Old Las Palmas is recognized as one of the premier locations in Palm Springs, and many of the older states and homes are being updated to enhance their uniqure properties.
Racquet Club Estates
Racquet Club Estates is now famous as a quintessential example of an Alexander Company built subdivision of the period (1959-62), with now-classic midcentury modern designs by the architectural firm of Palmer + Krisel. The boundaries of the neighborhood are:
Section 1: Central: - Northern Boundary: Francis Drive between Starr Road and Avenida Caballeros - Eastern Boundary: Avenida Caballeros between Francis Drive and Via Escuela - Southern Boundary: North side of Via Escuela bewteen Avenida Caballeros and Milben Circle - Western Boundary: Starr Road between Francis Drive and Via Escuela, including the cul-de-sac streets of Laurel Circle, Sycamore Circle, Desert Willow Circle, Desert Holly Circle, Glen Circle, Milben Circle, and Raquet Club Road, between Starr Road and Sunnyview Drive.
Section 2: North - Northern Boundary: south side of San Rafael Road between Sunnyview Drive and Starr Road - Eastern Boundary: Starr Road - Southern Boundary: Francis Drive - Western Boundary: Sunnyview Drive.
Section 3: South - Northern Boundary: Via Escuela, between Jacques Drive and Via Miraleste - Eastern Boundary: Jacques Drive - Southern Boundary: north side of Louise Drive - Western Boundary: east side of Via Miraleste between Louise Drive and Via Escuela
Section 4: East - Northern Boundary: Francis Drive between Avenida Caballeros and Aurora Drive - Eastern Boundary: west side of Aurora Drive - Southern Boundary: north side of Racquet Club Road - Western Boundary: Avenida Caballeros
Along the western boundary of Racquet Club Estates - the east side of Indian Canyon Drive - are The Towers (a newer modernist condominium complex, now comprised of rental units); Parkwood Apartments; Indian Canyon Villas, a townhome complex; and Riviera Gardens - which, in turn, surrounds The Riviera Hotel resort complex on its north and east sides.
Racquet Club West
The boundaries of the Racquet Club West neighborhood - which include the site of the remains of the lost legendary Palm Springs Racquet Club, at the northwest corner of Indian Canyon Drive and Racquet Club Road - are as follows:
North: Property on the south side of West San Rafael Road, between Indian Canyon Drive on the east, and Palm Canyon Drive on the west.
South: North side of Alvarado Road between Palm Canyon Drive and De Anza Road; north on De Anza Road, to the north side of Dominguez Road east to Zanjero Road north to San Carlos Road to Puerta Del Sol, south on Puerta Del Sol to San Marcos Way, east to Indian Canyon Drive
East: West side of Indian Canyon Drive between San Rafael Road on the north and San Marcos Way on the south
West: Property on the east side of Palm Canyon Drive with San Rafael Road on the north and Alvarado Road on the south
Ruth Hardy Park
Though now organized under the Movie Colony East Neighborhood Association - including the area, north of Tachevah Road and as far as the Raymond Cree Middle School campus, that historically had belonged to El Mirador - the neighborhood generally known, and long-recognized, as Ruth Hardy Park is bordered by Avenida Caballeros (with Ruth Hardy Park, itself, and the Katherine Finchy Elementary School) to the west; Alejo Road to the south; Sunrise Way to the east; and Tachevah Drive, to the north.
The neighborhood is solidly residential, and includes a mix of both estate-sized homes - often in period Spanish Revival style - largely to the west, and more modest-scale single family houses - typically midcentury modern ranchers, including a number of post-war homes originally designed by Albert Frey - to the east.
With the southeastern corner of this area originally developed as La Reina Estates - La Reina Way cuts north and south, from Sonora Road down to the frontage street along East Palm Canyon - through the center of a series of cul-du-sac streets, lined with larger-scale primary-residence single-family detached homes - and including the surrounding planned unit developments of Casa Sonora, Mesquite Canyon Estates, Mesquite Greens, Saddlerock, Sunrise Villas, Sunrise East, The Diplomat, and Versailles, the Sonora Sunrise neighborhood is the area bordered by the west side of Farrell (along the east), the north side of East Palm Canyon Drive (along the south), the east side of Sunrise Way (along the west) and the Tahquitz River Wash (along the north). It is often considered to be a part of the larger Los Compadres neighborhood.
Sunmor is generally recognized as an Alexander Company development, but in fact it was actually Robert C. "Bob" Higgins who first imagined a neighborhood of affordable modernist tract homes in the present location, and who built the first houses in what was then called Sunmor Estates (Higgins is the builder given credit for the William Cody-designed L'Horizon Hotel, and the Donald Wexler-designed Alan Ladd residence), starting in 1955.
The Sunmor neighborhood is located to the east of Farrell Drive, north of Andreas Road, west of Airlane Drive and south of Tamarisk Road, and includes the following streets: Juanita Drive, Julian Road, the east side of Farrell Drive, Helena Circle, Jill Circle, Leslie Circle, Lynn Circle, Morsun Circle, Louella Road, Livmor Avenue, Easmor Circle, Plaimor Avenue, Sybil Road and Airlane Drive.
Sunrise Park is actually comprised of two sections, bi-sected by Tahquitz Canyon Way. It is bounded by Alejo Road to the north, Baristo Road (and the Palm Springs High School campus, and Sunrise Park, itself) to the south, Sunrise Way to the west, and Farrell Drive to the east.
Its boundaries include the Catalina Grove condominium complex, at the southeast corner of Alejo and Sunrise; the midcentury Desert Holly (northwest corner of Tahquitz Canyon and Sunset Way) and the new Sofia (northeast corner of Tahquitz Canyon and NW Cerritos Drive) condominium complexes; the (now largely-vacant) Palm Springs Mall, at the southwest corner of Tahquitz Canyon Way and Farrell Drive (including the Camelot Theatres); and a number of apartment complexes, commercial space, and or professional buildings, along the east side of Sunrise, and both sides of Tahquitz Canyon.
Nearly all of the single-family detached homes - in either section of Sunrise Park - date from the mid-20th century, and are of the midcentury modern design.
The Sunrise-Vista Chino Neighborhood Coalition includes the HOAs of Ranch Club Estados, Sagewood, Sunrise Racquet Club, plus the Desert AIDS Project complex, and the Vista Sunrise Apartments.
The Palm Springs Marketplace commercial center - including Stater Bros. Supermarket - is located within neighborhood bounds, at the southeast corner of Vista Chino and Sunrise Way.
The boundaries of the neighborhood are: Tachevah Drive to Sunrise Way, up Sunrise Way to Chia Road, on the south; Sunise Way to Chia Road, Chia Road to Paseo de Anza, on the west; Vista Chino, on the north; and Cerritos Drive, on the east.
Tahquitz Creek Golf Club
The Tahquitz Creek Golf Club neighborhood is an enclave of Alexander Company built homes (1963-1966), originally called Green Fairway Estates, along the fairways and borders of the two 18-hole courses of the Tahquitz Creek Golf Resort (with its 1967 Hugh Kaptur-designed clubhouse, on Golf Club Drive) which, in turn, was originally developed and launched as Palm Springs Municipal Golf Club.
The borders of the Tahquitz Creek Golf Club neighborhood are: Cherry Hills Drive, and the Tahquitz River wash, to the north; Gene Autry Trail, to the west; Waverly Drive, and the Palm Springs Golf & Tennis Club condominium complex, to the south; and the Tahquitz Creek Golf Course, and clubhouse, to the east.
Tahquitz River Estates
The bondaries of Tahquitz River Estates - generally regarded as the first modern-day, planned development of residential homes in Palm Springs (built by Los Angeles developer Paul Trousdale, in 1947) and including an older area of Spanish Revival homes, originally known as Palos Verdes Estates, from the early 1930s, to the south, are as follows:
Section 1: North Tahquitz River Estates, encompassing the south side of Sunny Dunes Road, east to Sunrise Avenue, south to North Riverside Avenue, and west to South Palm Canyon.
Section 2: South Tahquitz River Estates, encompassing South Riverside Avenue east to Sunrise Way, south to the north side of Mesquite Avenue, and west to the east side of Random Road.
Section 3: North Palos Verdes Estates, encompassing the south side of the Tahquitz River Wash to South Palm Canyon, east following the west side of Random Road, and the south side of Mesquite Avenue, east to Camino Real, south to the south side of Ocotillo Avenue, and west to South Palm Canyon.
Section 4: South Palos Verdes Estates, encompassing the north side of Morongo Road, east to Camino Real, including Biltmore Place, south to East Palm Canyon, and west to South Palm Canyon.
The Historic Tennis Club (HTC) community is located immediately adjacent to the downtown commercial area of Palm Springs. The Tennis Club neighborhood is bounded by Belardo Road to the east, Tahquitz Road to the north, the San Jacinto Mountains to the west, and Sunny Dunes Road, to the south.
In addition, the organization includes the area known as Tahquitz Canyons Estates, an area located at the west end of Ramon Road, from Belardo Road to La Mirada Road.
Complimenting the 240 single-family residences within the Historic Tennis Club community - including some of the most impressive estate properties in the city - there are several condominium properties and over 25 small, highly personable boutique hotels, many of historic and or architectural significance, including Casa Cody, the Del Marcos Hotel, the Ingleside Inn, and the Viceroy Palm Springs.
Anchored by the William Krisel-designed, Alexander Company-built Ocotillo Lodge. completed in 1956, at its northern border along East Palm Canyon Drive, Twin Palms was developed as 90 new, adjacent, single family detached modernist homes, behind the Ocotillo Lodge, to the south - making it one of the first unified, large-scale, de-facto tract developments in the city of Palm Springs.
(Tahquitz River Estates - developed by Paul Trousdale in 1947 - modern homes built in a narrow strip along either side of the Tahquitz River banks, between South Palm Canyon Drive and Sunrise Way, and adjoining a development of Spanish Revival homes - originally called Palos Verdes Estates - from the early 1930s, is generally regarded as the first).
Twin Palms (1957-60) was developed by the Alexander Company almost concurrently with Vista Las Palmas (1958-61) and Racquet Club Estates (1959-62). The neighborhood is bordered by East Palm Canyon Drive, at the north; South Camino Real, at the west; Sunrise Way, at the east; and Laverne Way, to the south.
Vista Las Palmas
The famous Alexander subdivision tract of Vista Las Palmas - originally named Summit Las Palmas - were, at the time, the largest homes in 3 developments built concurrently by the Alexander Company, including Twin Palms and Racquet Club Estates. The Vista Las Palmas Neighborhood Association defines Vista Las Palmas as bordered on the east by the west side of North Via Monte Vista, all the way up to Stevens Road. and on the west side Palm Canyon Drive, from Vista Chino to Stevens. The western border is Los Robles, and the foot of the San Jacinto Mountains. The northern border is Vista Chino (and the little cul-du-sac of West Coronado Avenue, which forms a spur off the north end of Rose Avenue); and at the south, Vista Las Palmas is bordered by Crescent Drive.
The Vista Norte Neighborhood Association (VNNO) defines its neighborhood as:
Southern Boundary: North side of East Vista Chino between North Avenida Caballeros and North Sunrise Way
Eastern Boundary: West side of North Sunrise Way between Vista Chino and East Racquet Club Road
Northern Boundary: South Side of East Racquet Club Road between North Sunrise Way and North Avenida Caballeros
Western Boundary: East side of North Avenida Caballeros between East Racquet Club Road and East Vista Chino
Additional Section: North side of East Louise Drive between Jacques Drive and North Avenida Caballeros, and the west side of North Avenida Caballeros between East Louise Drive and East Via Escuela, including El Conquistador, El Cid and East El Escudero, and the south side of East Via Escuela, between North Avenida Caballeros and Jacques Drive.
Warm Sands is a long, rectangular section that extends all the way from the south end of Downtown - at the southern end of Indian Canyon Drive, where it splits from South Palm Canyon - and runs east, along the south side of Ramon Road, and the north side of Sunny Dunes Road, all the way to Sunrise Way, at its eastern border.
The neighborhood takes its name from a pair of streets - Warm Sands Drive, and Warm Sands Place - that form a reverse "double S" and bisect the neighborhood, from north to south, down the center. The curves of Warm Sands Drive, and the intersecting east-west fork of Camino Parocela, and Grenfall Road, one block east, are lined with smaller, older resorts, which - under subsequent owners and many name changes, renovations, and even consolidations - form one of the largest (and best-known) clusters of clothing-optional accomodations for men in the city.
To the west of the resort area, towards Downtown, are older private homes - some of the earliest in Palm Springs, including a number of Spanish Revival cottages from the 1930s, as well as rental duplexes, triplexes, and fourplexes.
To the east of the resort area, towards Sunrise Way, Warm Sands not only includes midcentury period single family detached houses - some impressively restored - but also larger apartment complexes; the Ramon Mobile Park; the Plaza at Sunrise
commercial strip (at the southwest corner of Ramon); Dunes Court, a gated enclave
of twelve contemporary styled homes; and new, retro midcentury modern styled single family homes, along Sunny Dunes Road towards the northwest corner of Sunrise Way.